Monday, January 1, 2018

A Peaceful New Year's day

It was a very peaceful new year's day for me.  Woke up early since we did not stay up to watch fireworks.  Spent time in prayer, when my wife woke up I gave her a new year's hug and kiss, and then decided to have a cup of freshly brewed coffee in a coffee shop near my in-law's house.
It was around 9am, and the streets were practically empty of cars and people.  Most probably were still sleeping after a new year's eve celebration.  And it was a nice change because where I was staying was usually a place filled with people and traffic.
When I entered the coffee shop there were only three people inside, me being the fourth!  I chose a nice corner, with the street as a view, and enjoyed a nice cup of coffee watching the traffic-less street in front of me.
What a peaceful new year's day it was.
I stayed home most of the time, while my wife and children went out for some last minute shopping.  And the day ended as peaceful as it started.

How you wish everyday was like that!  Especially for those of you who live in Manila.  But even for our life in Bacolod city we are not exempted anymore from traffic and stress.  Stress, of course, has nothing to do with where you live.  Maybe heavy traffic does add to the level of stress you have, but when we have problems, hardships, trials and situations we can't handle stress will always be there.
It would be nice if we could pray that God would give us a stress free 2018, but I think all of us know that in reality we will not find a stress free life in this world, for there will always be something, or someone, who will add to our level of stress.

What we need is to find a stress free life outside of this world.
John 16:33 (NIV)
33“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

This is our Lord speaking to His disciples, telling them a very important truth - in this world you will have trouble.  Asking God to take away trouble from our life would be contradictory to what He just taught in the verse above.
But look at another truth the Lord spoke - "I have told you these things so that IN ME YOU MAY HAVE PEACE.
For the Lord's disciples peace is not found in this world, but it is found in Him.
This is why in the midst of this chaotic and unpredictable world it is so important to be in Christ, abiding In Him, enjoying His presence always, and taking refuge in Him.

Psalms 32:7 (NIV)
7You are my hiding place;
you will protect me from trouble
and surround me with songs of deliverance

He is our hiding place.  For some it is a smoke, a glass of wine, friends.  But for the Lord's disciples He is our hiding place - not somewhere and not someone.
He protects us from trouble
He surrounds us with songs of deliverance.

I pray each and every day this 2018 we all may hide in the presence of our Savior and Lord, and find peace in Him, and not in our circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment