Sunday, January 8, 2012

Living a Good Eulogy

I officiated in a burial service today for the father of a church member who passed away just last December 31.  We sang a few songs, shared God’s Word, and then listened to friends, loved ones, and family members share their eulogies concerning the deceased.  Officemates, a neighbor, a “kumpare”, a niece and his daughter stood up one by one and started sharing about what a great officemate, friend, uncle, husband and father he was.  And though they were sad that he had gone ahead, and that they would not see him anymore, yet they were joyful that now he was with His Creator, in a “better place”, eternally enjoying the presence of His God.

While listening to the eulogies, it got me thinking – “I wonder what people will say when I’m gone”.  I don’t want to sound morbid, or inconsiderate, but that’s what I was thinking…what would my fellow pastors, church members, Christian friends, family members, and my immediate family say?  As imperfect as I am I did hope, in my imagination, that my friends and family would remember the good things in me. 

And it made me think – I better make sure that I live in a way that people will see the good things in me!  What I want people to say about me when I’m dead will all depend on how I have lived with each of them.  I pray that as I walk by God’s grace everyday, allowing Him to change me and mold my character, other people will be recipients of good eulogies for me in the future!  Better than that, I do pray that people will see that it was not me, but God, who molded and formed the Christ-like character that He took hold of me for.

Makes for a good new years’ resolution, doesn’t it?

Proverbs 22:1  A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.

Ecclesiastes 7:1  A good name is better than fine perfume, and the day of death better than the day of birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment