Friday, January 20, 2012

Live With Your Windows Open

Having a tinted car has its advantages. Aside from deflecting the sunlight, let me share how it helps.  First, it allows me to sing and play “air drums” to the beat of the music I play.  I can do that because no one can see me, because of the tint (Ok, for those who know me now you know what I’m doing as my car passes by!).  I can also wear anything I want – a crumpled shirt, shorts with holes in it, when I pick up the kids.  As long as I stay in the car it’s fine, since no one can see me!  Another advantage – I can give a reckless driver a “dagger look”, and be so confident to do it, because I know he can’t really see me!  Of course it doesn’t make it right, that’s why  after I do that I ask forgiveness from the Lord.  The thing is,  because I know the car is tinted the boldness to do it is there!  In some places, like Manila, a dagger look can really get you into trouble, even get you shot.  Here where I live it can get you into an argument, and maybe even a fight.  That’s why a dagger look can have its consequences.  Because of the tint I fall to the temptation of reacting in the wrong way.

It’s that last example that checked my Christian walk today.  Yesterday the car air-conditioner broke down, and since I did not find time to have it fixed today I had to drive with the windows down.  As I was driving a car coming from a side street to my right turned towards the road, and even if the driver saw me coming she did not slow down!  So I had to press hard on the break as the car turned right beside me.  I was about to give the “dagger look”, when I realized my window was open!  And so, at just the right time, when the car was right beside me, I gave the driver a smile!  Hahaha!  In my mind I said “Whew!”.  It was a “half smile”, but at least it wasn’t the dagger look!  It was my wife who noticed that the driver was a woman, and also noticed that she was waving apologetically, probably realizing that it was her mistake.  Whoa…imagine if I gave the dagger look!  I would have felt guilty.  What is worse – imagine if the person knew me, and knew that I was a Christian…a Pastor even!  My testimony would have gone down the drain!  It’s a good thing I was smiling!  Sort of…

I quickly sensed the lesson God was teaching me at that moment.

1 Peter 2:12 NASB  Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may because of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation.

As Christians it is so important for us to be living life “with our windows down”!  Yes, we do have our bad days, and there will always be times when we will have friction with others.  But our lives speak of our faith and our desire to follow our Lord.  How we react, and respond, to these things speak to others about what is in our heart, what we believe in, what guides and shapes our life.  We claim to have a Savior who saved us from our sins, and we claim to believe in a Lord who is continually cleansing us from our everyday sins and conforming us to His image.  Do our lives show it?

So, keep those windows open…and live the life that we know our Lord will be pleased with, and a life that is a blessing to others.  There is no tint that can cover the life that we live, the life that we show and share with others.  By God’s grace may we always allow our lives to show the goodness and righteousness of our Lord.

Matthew 5:16  In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment