Tuesday, May 31, 2011

He Knows Us

My car broke down the other day.  It just wouldn’t start.  I called a friend who knows a lot about cars, and asked him to pass by and help me find out what was wrong with it.  Sometimes, just a little tinkering with the engine fixes the problem.  Sometimes.  This time, it didn’t.

He came back with a mechanic.  Instinctively his hands started going through different parts of the engine, checking this and that, making sure that every part was working as it should.  And then he found out the problem.  But even as he started fixing this problem he also started checking other possible problems, until he eventually found a bigger problem – one which, if I had continued using the car, would have brought a much bigger and expensive problem that what I had then.

Thank God for mechanics, good mechanics, who know exactly what they’re doing!  We can tinker around the engine, troubleshoot a little as to what the problem is, but only a good mechanic will know exactly what should be done, and more even.

Psa 139:1  For the director of music. Of David. A psalm. O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.
Psa 139:2  You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
Psa 139:3  You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.
Psa 139:4  Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD.

In this psalm David was not saying “Lord, you are searching me and getting to know me”.  He said “You have searched me…know me”.  The Hebrew word for “search” is used for miners searching for gold, looking under every stone, every inch of the wall.  That’s who much the Lord has searched us – every nook and cranny!

The psalm continues and gives more evidence of how much God knows us:

Psa 139:13  For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
Psa 139:14  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
Psa 139:15  My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
Psa 139:16  your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

Even when we were still in the womb of our mother God already knew us.  He created us, He made us.  As early as those days every day ordained for us were already written.

Shouldn’t we be trusting Him to check our lives and find out what is wrong, what deep problems we may have and what solutions we need?  Should we not be allowing Him to lead and guide us in life?  Should we not have confidence in Him, in what He is doing to shape our lives.  Should we not believe that He knows what is Best for us?

No comments:

Post a Comment