Thursday, May 5, 2011

Always There

My wife and I were in a hotel room in Cebu City, about to fall asleep, all the lights closed.  And then I noticed a few things:  there’s a red light on the television set right in front of our bed.  Then, there’s a red light blinking in the smoke detector above.  And then there’s a red light flickering on an emergency flashlight that is hanging on the wall.

All those red lights mean one thing – “standing by”.  The tv is ready to open at the press of a button in the remote.  The smoke detector is ready to blast its siren and turn on the sprinklers at the moment it detects smoke coming from a fire.  The emergency flashlight is ready to be used in case of a brownout.  All on stand by, all ready for use.  It was a relief to see all those red lights blinking.

God doesn’t have a red light that we can see.  But He sends the same message to all of us who believe in Him.  He is standing by each one of us, ready for whatever we need Him for, whenever we need Him.

Psalm 46:1-2 God is our refuge and strength,  an ever-present help in trouble. 2 Therefore we will not fear…

Jeremiah 33:3 `Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.

ISA 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you;
   do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
   I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

See the “red lights” flickering?  It’s God telling us that He’s always there, ready to help, in just one call, one prayer, one cry.  All He’s waiting for is for us to “press that button”.  Those “red lights” are all over the Bible, reminding us of how close, of how concerned, how loving our God is to be there in our time of need.

The red light is God Himself reminding us that He is always there.

PS 27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear?

No comments:

Post a Comment