Friday, September 23, 2016

Enjoying Honey

For a number of years now I have been enjoying using honey to sweeten my brewed coffee instead of sugar.  It has been a "sweet" experience.  I know, for a fact, that honey, being natural, is healthier compared to processed sugar.  For a while I was using brown sugar, which they say is a notch better than white sugar when it comes to health issues.  I was considering using mascobado, or raw sugar, but then I decided to try using honey.Our neighborhood supermarket sells what they claim to be "pure honey" from Camiguin, a region in Mindanao, and that's what I have been using for a number of years now.
And as most of us know, honey has a lot of benefits.  Aside from using it with my coffee I take a spoon full once in a while just to give me the energy I need for the day

There are fake honey being sold in the market though, and we have to be careful.  There are those who dilute the pure honey either with water or sugar, or both, just to be able to make an extra peso.  Of course there are ways to check.  The way I check is when I place the bottle in the ref.  If it is fake the "honey" will harden.  But if it is real it will slow down a bit, but it will still flow out smoothly.  And there will be no trace of sugar or water in it.
So far, the honey I have been buying in our neighborhood supermarket has proven true, and I have been enjoying its benefits day by day.

Eat honey, my son, for it is good; honey from the comb is sweet to your taste. Know also that wisdom is sweet to your soul; if you find it, there is a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off.
(Proverbs 24:13-14)


Solomon used honey as an illustration of seeking wisdom for our lives.  The wisdom, of course, that he was referring to was the wisdom that came from God, that the Lord had blessed him with.  It was something that Solomon had specifically asked from God:

At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon during the night in a dream, and God said, "Ask for whatever you want me to give you." Solomon answered, "You have shown great kindness to your servant, my father David, because he was faithful to you and righteous and upright in heart. You have continued this great kindness to him and have given him a son to sit on his throne this very day. Now, O LORD my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David. But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties. Your servant is here among the people you have chosen, a great people, too numerous to count or number. So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?" The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for this.
(1 Kings 3:5-10)


Solomon knew, in his heart, that without the wisdom that came from God, he would not be able to be the king that God wanted him to be, that the people of Israel needed.  And so his request was simple.  He could have asked for riches and fame, but he asked for wisdom.  And the Lord was pleased that Solomon asked for this.

Is this the wisdom that we pray for, long for, in our life?  Wisdom is sweet to our soul, and its benefits are far better than any other source of knowledge or understanding that this world can give, for it comes from our heavenly Father.
Of course we have to be careful of "fake wisdom" that is being sold to us.  How can we test if wisdom is from God or not?

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
(Proverbs 9:10)


Does the fear of the Lord reign in the depths of our hearts?  Are we afraid to turn away from the ways of the Lord?  Is it our utmost desire to glorify Him, and to live in His ways?
Wisdom does not come overnight.  It comes from consistently seeking the words of the Lord and having it dwell in our hearts for us to be able to apply them.

Seek wisdom.  Seek it like honey.  And enjoy its benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment