Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Casting our cares

There are a number of times when I, and the other pastors of our church, would receive a blessing of a sack of rice either from brethren or from the church.  Personally, I do not have the strength to carry one sack of rice on my shoulders and carry it all the way to my car.  And even when I reach the house I cannot carry the whole sack inside.  So, when I need to place it in the trunk of the car I ask someone much stronger than myself who can carry it and place it in the trunk of the car.  When I reach home I would usually ask my eldest son to carry it from the trunk to the inside of the house.
I have to ask them that favor, because I know that I cannot carry it.  So I cast that burden upon their shoulders.
I know what it takes to carry a sack of rice.  When I was still working the company I worked for used to deliver rice to restaurants and market stalls.  The truck helpers we had were the ones who would carry them.  It is "chicken feed" for them, so they did all the carrying, while we salesmen would do all the sales talk.  We would cast the care of carrying the weight on them, because they were the ones strong enough to do it.

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
(1 Peter 5:6-7)
Have you ever cast all your cares on the Lord, and yet continue to feel anxious?  Maybe it's because we aren't really casting them on His shoulders.
The word "cast" in the Greek means literally "to throw upon".
What does it mean to throw our cares upon the Lord?  Verse 6 is the key.
Do we humble ourselves under God's mighty hand?
To humble ourselves before God is to believe that He has the mighty hand, and not us.  When we keep believing that we can still solve our problems, or when we still think that we know what God should do, then we do not believe He has the stronger hand.  We still believe our hand is strong enough to solve the problem.  This why we are not really casting them to the shoulders of our God.
We need to humble ourselves, admit that we cannot do it, and believe that is it God with the mighty hand, and not us.
It is when we humble ourselves that God can now lift us up.
That is when we really cast our anxieties, our cares, upon Him.

Another reason we throw our anxieties upon our Lord - He cares for us.
God is not doing it because it's His job, or because He has to.
God takes care of our anxieties, casts them upon His strong hands and shoulders, because He cares for us.
Then all the burden is lifted from us, and we just still our hearts and wait for God to take care of the situation.

We need to humble ourselves under His mighty hands before we can really cast all our anxieties on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment