Friday, August 19, 2011

Nothing Like The Real Thing

There’s nothing like the real thing, as Marvin Gaye and Tammy Terrel sang years ago for Motown (ok old guys, start singing…).  I started enjoying brewed coffee again a few days ago.  There’s nothing like the taste of freshly brewed coffee!  Actually, I used to brew coffee everyday with a regular coffee brewer.  But after a month, when the electric bill came, I was “shocked” to find out how high my bill was.  Since I drink around three cups of coffee (at the most) a day, that meant I would brew a fresh cup three times a day also.  So, I decided to go back to instant coffee.

Then a few years back a friend of mine gave me a coffee presser.  It made things a little easier, and I could enjoy brewed coffee once again.  But eventually for lack of budget to buy packs of brewed coffee I was back to instant.

Recently I received two packs of brewed coffee from brethren in the church.  Then I remembered the old coffee presser, just like the one in the picture below, that I used to use some years back.  I asked Marge to look for it, and she found it.  And, lo and behold, I was back to drinking brewed coffee again!

 

coffee-press

Yeah…there’s nothing like freshly brewed coffee.  The richness, the fullness of the taste.  Thank God for coffee!

Psalm 34:8 Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.

Many times in Scripture the Lord would invite people to “taste” and enjoy life with Him.  Just like brewed coffee, or any other favorite beverage or food you may enjoy, the moment you taste “the real thing” – life with God – you will always look for Him, because there will be nothing, or no one, who can replace Him.

When reaching out to a Samaritan woman who had five husbands, and was living in with someone, Jesus said:

John 4:13  Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again,
John 4:14  but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

The things of this life, what this world has to offer, only makes us thirst some more.  They don’t really satisfy.  But if we drink the water that the Lord gives us we will never thirst.  The satisfaction we receive will be more than what the world offers, and it wells up to eternal life!

Let’s not make the same mistake as Israel:

Jeremiah 2:13  "My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water.

Imagine turning their backs on the “real thing”, the spring of living water, and building their own cisterns, broken cisterns, that hold nothing.  How many today have turned their backs on the Lord, or, at least, have placed Him in the sideline, while they’re busy digging their own cisterns, stressed out, tired, frustrated…because it holds no water.

There’s nothing like the real thing.  In John 10:10 Jesus said that He came so that He could give us life…and He brews the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment