Saturday, April 30, 2011

Like a Mountain

I have always loved mountains.  Maybe it’s because since I was about six years old my parents would take a trip to Baguio at least once a year.  There’s something about a mountain, it’s majesty and strength, that amazes me.

What I love about the road that I take going home is it has a view of Mt Kanlaon.  It almost seems like the road is going straight towards it.  I love looking at the mountain.  It’s a symbol of strength, majesty and permanence.  There are times I feel that it calls me, draws me to it, especially during times when I need a break, or a breather from all the hustle and bustle of life. 

There is another “mountain” that I run to everyday.  Psalm 125:1-2 shares that with us.

Psalm 125:1  A song of ascents. Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion, which cannot be shaken but endures forever.
Psalm 125:2  As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the LORD surrounds his people both now and forevermore.

In this psalm the psalmist was obviously in awe of the majesty of Mount Zion .  And a pilgrim traveling from his place to Jerusalem to worship the Lord would have a view of this mountain.  As the psalmist reflects on the strength and majesty of it, he relates it both to us and the Lord.

Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion…it cannot be shaken.  Why?  Because we trust in Someone who is strong, who is omnipotent, who is trustworthy and true.  If we trust in people, in things, in circumstances, they will eventually fail us.  But if we trust in the Lord He keeps us strong and firm as we walk in this uncertain world.

And just as being surrounded makes you feel protected, so those who trust in the Lord will be surrounded by the Lord, protected in our way.  This is the benefit we have as we entrust our walk and our way to the Lord – He surrounds us, protects us, guides us so that our hearts remain strong, assured and hopeful that He will make our paths straight.  A storm may pick up strength while it is travelling above the sea, but the moment it hits the mountains its strength is weakened.  That’s why cities or towns surrounded by mountains are always protected against storms.

May we have the strength of a mountain as we trust in our Lord, and as He surrounds us as a mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment