Sunday, December 19, 2010

Gleanings from Narnia

I watched “Narnia, the voyage of the Dawn Treader”,  this last weekend with my wife and two sons.  As usual it was a great experience, cinematography wise, and story wise – knowing that C.S. Lewis purposely injected Christian views into his books.  There are many lessons that we can glean from the movie.  What I cannot forget is what the rat Reepicheep (I think that’s his name, and hope I spelled it right) said at the end of the movie, before he entered Azlan’s kingdom - (this is not an exact quote, forgive my memory).  “I have been longing to see your kingdom.  All my adventures in this life have not dampened my desire to see it”.  And he entered the kingdom joyfully.

It quickly reminded me of our life here in this world as Christians.  We are pilgrims, passing through this world, chosen and being prepared to inherit another kingdom in eternity.  Our adventures in this world should not dampen our desire to see the kingdom of God!

Hebrews 11:8-10 (NIV)
8 By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.
9 By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise.
10 For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God.

There is always the danger of enjoying life here too much that we forget where we are really headed.  Let us live knowing we are inheriting an eternal kingdom that we have been graciously chosen to inherit.  May nothing dampen that desire that God has placed in our hearts to be with Him in His kingdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment