Thursday, April 30, 2020

IT'S THE PRODUCT, NOT JUST THE PACKAGE

A few months ago, we received a blessing of a pack of Mascobado sugar, packed in small packets.  Since I usually use honey to sweeten my coffee the Mascobado sugar packets were just kept in a container.  Now that the supply of honey is short, because of the community quarantine we are in, I started using these packets of Mascobado sugar for my coffee.
Today something interesting happened.  I got two packets of mascobado, and when I felt one of them I was surprised that it felt flat and empty.

I didn't have to open it to confirm that it was empty, I just had to press hard on it and it was just full of air.  It most probably was a packaging error.  I know that happens.  That's why manufacturing companies always have quality control checks, even in packaging.  But, once in a while mistakes do happen.  This is possibly the case.  The packaging was the same, it was sealed, but there was nothing in it.

When you think about it - it's not just about the packaging, it's about what's inside that counts.  The label in the package can say "Mascobado", but if there's nothing inside then it's not what the package label says, it's the product inside that really matters.

It made me think about the label "Christian".
2 Corinthians 13:5  Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you-- unless, of course, you fail the test?

Millions of people today wear the label "Christian".  We profess that we are Christian, we attend a church that is Christian, we fellowship with people who are Christian, we can even live a life that looks Christian.
But when the package is opened, will the product prove the label?  When our hearts are exposed, will it show that we are really Christian?  Or will it be empty, like the Mascobado packet that I found?

There are many of us making an effort to take care of our label "Christian", and the packaging that comes with it.  But what really counts is what is inside.  When everything else is taken away, will we still be Christian when our hearts are exposed?  Take away your religion, your denomination, your traditions and practices, and then ask yourself - "why am I a Christian?".

The answer should be simple - Christ.
Nothing else, no one else.  Just the Christ.
Not an imitation of Christ.  Not who we think He should be.  Not an invention of Christ.  Just Jesus Christ, as He revealed Himself to be, as He has shown us in His Word.
The "Christ" is the "Anointed One", the One chosen to live a righteous life, die for our sin, and rise again - that we may be saved, reconciled back to God, and live lives that glorify Him.  This is the Christ we trust in - for our eternity and for our life today.
Without this Christ in our hearts we may have the right label and packaging, but we will be empty in our heart.

When God graciously opens a heart, and reveals who He is to that heart, and that heart believes, that is when a person becomes a "Christian".  And where can we go to show us who we are to believe in, except to Him and His Words.
Have we met this Christ?  Is this the Christ we believe in?  Is He truly the "Messiah", the Anointed One - for our eternity and our life today?  Do we consider ourselves His disciples?

In the end, our hearts are to proclaim what the psalmist said:
Psalms 73:25-26  Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you.  (26)  My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
No one else, nothing else - just Christ alone.

The package may be right, but will the inside show the right product, or will it be empty?
It's not too late to make sure we are truly Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment