Thursday, July 7, 2011

Disconnected

Our electricity at home was disconnected today.  What a hassle it was to spend a few hours without electricity and all the benefits that it brings with it.  We were disconnected not because we couldn’t pay the bill, but because I didn’t pay the bill on time.  My bad habit is usually to go past the due date of the bill and wait for the notice of disconnection, which usually will give around 2 to 3 days before they actually cut off the electricity.  Well, it just so happened that, for some reason, the notice of disconnection did not arrive.  And this morning, lo and behold, the Electric Company “Disconnectors” were knocking on our gate.

Again, what a hassle the discomfort of not having electricity brings!  No television, no internet connection, no electric fan or air conditioners to beat the heat!  And I was “inis” (irritated…I wonder if that’s the right English translation) at myself because anytime I could have paid the bill, and yet I decided to just follow my habit (which I now call “bad”!) of waiting, waiting for something that did not come.  And so, for a few hours, I suffered the consequence.  I am almost 100% sure that when the next bill comes I am going to pay on time!  Hahaha!  (Now I can laugh – the electricity’s back!).

This reminds me so much of how the “bad habit” of sin leads us to suffer the consequences, and how it is so important for us to be “connected” to the Lord always!

Psa 95:6  Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the LORD our Maker; 7  for he is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care. Today, if you hear his voice, 8  do not harden your hearts as you did at Meribah, as you did that day at Massah in the desert, 9  where your fathers tested and tried me, though they had seen what I did. 10  For forty years I was angry with that generation; I said, "They are a people whose hearts go astray, and they have not known my ways." 11  So I declared on oath in my anger, "They shall never enter my rest."

We all have the “bad habit” of following our own evil desires, instead of listening to how the Lord wants us to be living.  When we do that we end up suffering the consequences of sin.  God doesn’t want us in that situation.  He wants us resting in Him, with Him, walking in His ways.  This is why He tells us “if we hear His voice, do not harden your hearts”.

Let us let go of those bad habits of sin, and through His strength live in His righteousness, that we may enjoy the benefits of His salvation, of His grace.  Let’s not wait for sin to “disconnect” us from the benefits of righteousness.  Instead let us keep walking with the Lord, keeping our eyes on Him always.

What aids us in this desire is worship.  As we bow down and recognize our Maker, our Shepherd, our hearts become open to hearing His voice, and are softened to obey His Word.

So, come, let us worship and bow down, listening always to the voice of our Shepherd, that we may not make the wrong decision to sin, and end up suffering the consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment