Friday, January 7, 2011

Tune Up

Before my family and I left for our annual Christmas vacation in Manila, where my wife and I come from, my car needed a tune up.  It was already showing signs of a change of spark plugs and some cleaning here and there.  But I purposely postponed it because I wanted to have as much pocket money as I could in a place where every move you make has you reaching into your wallet and paying for something!  When we came back from our vacation I completely forgot that the car needed a tune up, and so when I drove it the day after we arrived to bring our kids to school I was so frustrated with how it was running!  So at the next opportunity I had I went to the shop and had it tuned up.  What a great feeling to be driving with a car with a well running engine.

Spiritually we all need a tune up.  There is always something that affects the running of our “spiritual engine” – our hearts.  The world we live in is full of distractions, temptations, trials and hardships that affect our hearts.  Sometimes we drive ourselves too hard on the wrong things – making money, building a family, working our behinds off – while we forget to take care of our relationship with God (prayer, reading His word, worship), and neglect our walk with Him, sometimes caught in compromise.

Many Christians forget that our “engine” is our heart, our spiritual life.  We have the tendency to take care of everything external, making sure we have everything we need.  But what really keeps us going, what really gives us life, is our hearts filled with the Holy Spirit’s life and power.

As this year begins, let’s bring ourselves to the One who can tune up our hearts.

Psalms 23:3 (NIV)
3 he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Acts 3:19 (NIV)
19 Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord,

Times of refreshing.  Yes, that’s what we need.  Make sure to get that “tune up” as you face this new year.

Psalms 139:23-24 (NIV)
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment